The following information is provided as an Aide Memoir to assist touch judges:
- Is it a split kick?
- Watch the contact not the ball
OPEN PLAY KICKS
- Is there a late/dangerous challenge on the kicker? (keep watching)
- Where was the kicker?
- Are chasers or defenders impeded?
- Is the airborne catcher challenged before he lands?
- Has the ball crossed the vertical plane of the touch line?
- Has the ball carrier touched/crossed the touch line?
- Is the catcher in the field of play?
- What happened to the ball after it crossed the touch line?
- Is a quick throw possible/legitimately taken?
- Has the passer been challenged late?
- Has a receiver/support player been tackled early/obstructed?
- Is it a legal tackle?
- Is a defender being obstructed?
- Is the referee unsighted when a clear “offence” occurs?
- Can I prevent this? (if not, I must be able to see it)
- What exactly did I see?
- Do I assume wrongly that the referee has seen the same offence?
- Do I need to advise the referee to stop the game?
- If play continues, do I watch and concentrate sufficiently?
- What will I say in my report to the referee? (team (s), number (s), offences (s))
- Is it safe to leave the players at the point of the offence?
- Are they aware of our 10 metres?
- Do I need to get deep to judge a kick to touch (especially to the corner post)?
KICK AT GOAL
- Can I see the ball, the post, my fellow TJ?
- Whose primary responsibility is the call?
- Is there anything relevant I can say to player (s), the referee, the other TJ?
- Am I touch judging or refereeing?
- Am I duplicating the referee’s view or complementing it?
- Am I ball watching, ball-carrier watching?
- Is my body language positive (Relaxed, Assured, Confident)?
- What are my priorities?